Disclaimer: As many things can affect the measurement (hardware, operating system, configuration, zone data, human mistakes, etc.), the results provided here are informative only.
- December 10, 2019: Epic DNS Benchmarking
Response Rate Benchmark
The test is based on two physical servers directly connected via 10GbE. One server replays proper PCAP file at various speeds to the second server, which is running the testing name-server software. Outgoing responses are monitored on the network stack to eliminated various network issues.
Target hardware is Intel Xeon E5-2630V3 (HT enabled), Intel X710 10GbE (FW 6.80), 64 GiB RAM.
Utilized open-source tools are tcpreplay and netmap.
Notes & Remarks
- Explicit CFLAGS="-O2 -g -DNDEBUG"
- Enabled SO_REUSEPORT (SO_REUSEPORT_LB on FreeBSD) and minimal responses
- Disabled RRSet rotation
- The number of threads/processes is the same as the number of CPU cores (16)
- The number of network card IO queues is 16 on Linux and 8 on FreeBSD
- libuv installed from ISC's PPA