The primary objective of this benchmarking is to compare various deployments of authoritative name-server implementations in different environments. All the scripts, data, and configurations are open-source and stored at dns-benchmarking project.
Disclaimer: As many things can affect the measurement (hardware, operating system, configuration, human mistakes, etc.), the results provided below are just informative.
Response Rate Benchmark
The test is based on two physical servers directly connected via 10GbE. One server replays proper PCAP file at various speeds to the second server, which is running the testing name-server software. Outgoing responses are monitored on the network stack to eliminated various network issues.
Target hardware is 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630V3 (HT enabled), Intel X710 10GbE, 64GiB RAM.
Notes & Remarks
- Explicit CFLAGS="-O2 -g -DNDEBUG"
- Enabled SO_REUSEPORT and minimal responses if supported
- BIND compiled with --enable-threads and --enable-tuning=large
- PowerDNS configured with BIND zone file back-end and caches disabled
- The number of threads/processes is the same as the number of CPU cores (16)