The primary objective of the benchmarking is to compare authoritative name-server implementations in different environments. Many things affect performance – from NIC manufacturer, drivers to zone contents. Because of this, we made the project open-source including data sets, tools to build new ones and examples.
You can read or download both source and data at our dns-benchmarking project page.
Response rate benchmark
The test is loosely based on the proven DISTEL testlab setup (presentation, p.28), that is used by the NLnet Labs to carry out DNS benchmarks. The difference is we use multiple query sources to fully saturate the server box (2x Intel Xeon E5-2630V3 (HT enabled), 64 GiB RAM).
Notes & remarks
- Explicit CFLAGS="-O2 -g -DNDEBUG"
- Enabled SO_REUSEPORT if supported
- BIND compiled with --enable-threads
- PowerDNS with BIND zone file back-end and cache disabled
- The number of threads/processes is the same as the number of cores
- Flushed filesystem and cached page before each test run